Once your baby starts crawling and then walking, keeping him secure becomes a full-time job. Baby gates provide help for this important job, but most gates use pressure to mount between two walls that are close together. With more and more homes featuring open floor plans, pressure-mounted baby gates aren’t practical. Even for homes that do have doorways, parents sometimes want to protect their walls and their paint from damage due to baby gates. If you don’t want to mount a gate to the wall, or do not have the ability to, the solution to help you keep your baby contained is a free-standing baby gates.
Richell Deluxe Freestanding Pet GateCHECK LATEST PRICE
Summer Infant Custom Fit GateCHECK LATEST PRICE
Richell Wood Freestanding GateCHECK LATEST PRICE
When it comes to your baby’s safety, you don’t want to cut any corners. Freestanding baby gates need to be secure and not easily tipped by a baby who is cruising around holding on to furniture.
Unfortunately, not all freestanding baby gates are created equal. You will find quite a bit of variety in this market, with products that may not provide the right level of protection for your little one. As you shop, make sure you choose a high quality gate that is going to stand up well, both literally and figuratively. Here are some of the top options available in 2020 that are worth your consideration.
Your baby’s safety is not something to take lightly. When you invest in a freestanding baby gate, you want to know that it’s going to do the job, and stand up under many years of use. To help you make the right choice, here is a closer look at the top five freestanding baby gates currently available on the market.
Best Freestanding Baby Gates and Recommendations for 2020
- Richell Deluxe Freestanding Pet Gate With Door
- Summer Infant Custom Fit Gate
- Richell Wood Freestanding Gate
- North States Superyard 3-in-1 Baby Gate
- Eaglelnw Safety Gate Fence for Pet and Baby
Richell Deluxe Freestanding Pet Gate with Door – Attractive Addition to Your Home
Plastic baby gates are not an attractive addition to your home. Richell strives to make products that work well, but also add to the look of your home. Their Deluxe Freestanding Pet Gate with Door is one such option.
Made from attractive wood, this gate looks great no matter where you put it. It stands 36 inches tall, so even adept climbers will be properly contained. The wide feet make it truly a freestanding gate option.
One of the features that lands this gate on our list is its locking mechanism on the door. When the walk-through door is closed, it locks on both the top and the bottom. However, if you’re needing to move through freely during your baby’s nap time, open it to 90-degrees and the locks will hold it open.
The gate comes with rubber feet, so you can use it on hardwood floors without fear of it scratching the floors. It expands from 61.9 inches to 90.2 inches. Because the gate is completely freestanding, you can set it so the door opens either direction.
This gate has many benefits, including:
- Quality craftsmanship means it will stand up well for many years of use.
- Double-locks on the gate keep baby secure.
- Baby can easily see through the slats.
- Gate locks open when desired.
- Hardwood finish makes the gate an attractive addition to the home, rather than an eyesore.
- Completely freestanding design.
The potential drawbacks of this particular baby gate include:
- Wood design is not fire-safe, so you would not use this around a fireplace.
- Cannot expand past the 90-inch size.
- Does not have additional panels available.
Summer Infant Custom Fit Gate – Practical and Lightweight
Summer Infant is a well-known brand in the baby supplies world, and their custom fit gate is a great choice. Technically it’s not a freestanding gate by itself, but you can purchase two sets to turn it into a freestanding option.
The Summer Infant Custom Fit Gate works quite well in wide spaces. You can choose between mounting it to the wall or using the bottom support and an additional set to turn it into a freestanding fence.
One of the benefits of this gate is it is simple to install. You don’t need complex tools to set it up. It has mesh in between the supports, so your baby can easily see out without having large gaps to get hands or toys stuck between.
Perhaps this gate’s best feature is its one-hand opening. If you have your hands full with your baby, all you need is one freed to open the gate. Yet it remains securely latched when you are trying to contain your baby inside.
The Summer Infant Custom Fit Gate fits openings from 65 inches to 143 inches and stands 30 inches tall. You can choose to use either two or three of its panels to accommodate different sized openings. It’s also lightweight, which makes it easier to move when you want to use it somewhere different.
Like all freestanding baby gates, the Summer Infant custom Fit Gate has several benefits worth considering, including:
- One-hand opening makes it easy to walk through with a baby in your arms.
- Lightweight design allows you to move it if you wish.
- Easily add additional panels to make it longer.
- Fits a variety of openings up to 143 inches.
- It offers the option to mount to the wall or use as a play yard.
This baby gate, like all of the ones on this list, does have some drawbacks, including these:
- The lightweight gate can tip if pushed hard enough.
- The plastic and mesh design may not add to your home’s decor.
- Making the gate smaller causes the fabric mesh to wrinkle, which detracts from the look of the gate.
- Mesh panels could be more easily damaged than wood or metal rungs.
Richell Wood Freestanding Gate – Attractive, Affordable, and Effective
Richell’s quality products mean it gets two gates on the list. What makes the Richell Wood Freestanding Gate is another on the top of the list because it’s both attractive and functional, and it comes at a budget-friendly price.
This gate provides an effective visual and physical barrier for your baby, and stands up well even if baby is holding on to it, but it comes in a lovely hardwood finish. This means it doesn’t detract from the overall look of your home. The wire slats are only 1.75 inches apart, so your baby isn’t going to fit much through the gate.
This gate is also customizable. It expands from just over 39 inches to just over 71 inches, and it stands 20 inches high. This means you can fit it to just about any opening. It’s made from lightweight rubber wood, which is both durable and beautiful.
Because this gate comes in at under $80, it is also a good value. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get an attractive gate that is an asset to your home.
Here is a closer look at some of the benefits of this gate:
- Expands from 39 to 71 inches.
- Gate is short enough to step over.
- The sturdy base prevents it from tipping easily, even without being secured to the wall.
- Hardwood finish is an attractive addition to the home.
- Walk-through gate to give access when desired.
Of course, no freestanding baby gate is perfect. Some of the drawbacks of this particular model include:
- Shorter size may not deter tall babies or babies who climb well.
- Does not have additional panels available for purchase.
- Some reviewers mention that the gate is difficult to open.
- Should not be used at the top of the stairs or near dangerous hazards.
- Is not fire-safe for use near fireplaces.
North States Superyard 3-in-1 Metal Gate – Flexible Configurations
Metal is the best choice for a baby gate that you will use near a fireplace, stove, or grill, because it is less likely to catch fire than wood or fabric options. The North States Superyard is a 3-in-1 baby gate that is made from durable metal. It works as a freestanding baby gate, wall-mounted barrier, or play yard, depending on your needs, and comes with the hardware and bottom anchors for both freestanding and wall-mounted applications.
This baby gate comes with six different panels which can reach 144 inches in length if you use them all. It stands 30-inches tall. When used as a play yard, it makes a 10-square-foot enclosure.
One of the features that makes this gate stand out is its mounting hardware. If you choose to mount it, it will accommodate the extra-tall baseboards or angled walls common in today’s homes. You can also add extension panels if you need a wider length.
Panels lock in place to keep your baby secure, but you can also remove them to change the shape of the play area or set up a barrier in a new part of your home.
Some of the benefits the North States Superyard offers include:
- Many different options for customization make it possible to fit most homes.
- Easy-access gate keeps baby secure while giving mom and dad access.
- Flexibility to use as a wall-mounted, stand alone, or play yard configuration.
- Option to add additional panels to extend the length.
- Locking panels to keep baby secure.
- Metal materials protect from fire hazards.
Of course, there are drawbacks to this gate, which include:
- Gate is somewhat narrow at just over 13 inches wide.
- Gate sometimes requires two hands.
- Gate is one-directional.
All in all, if you have a very large area to protect your baby against, this gate will do the job well.
Eaglelnw Safety Gate Fence for Pet and Baby – Durable and Fire-Safe
Fires are a serious risk for babies in today’s homes. If you’re looking for a gate that will protect from fire hazards, you need one made out of a strong metal. Eaglelnw Safety Gate Fence for Pet and Baby does this.
This heavy tubular steel freestanding baby gate can safely be used near fireplaces and grills. It comes with multiple panels you can configure to keep your baby safe. The gate can stand on its own, but it also comes with hardware for wall-mount applications.
The lock on the gate for this particular baby gate is easy to open. You can do it with one hand, so you can carry the baby through without a struggle. The attractive metal finish can blend with most decor, and the sturdy steel design makes it difficult to break or tip.
The overall width of this gate if you use all of the connecting panels is 122 inches. The door is 17 inches wide, and the gate stands 30 inches tall. Each panel is 25 inches wide. The rotating and locking joints stay in place once you choose the configuration for your gate, and you can place the door section anywhere you wish to customize the system even more.
The benefits of the Eaglelnw Baby Gate include:
- Quick release, adjustable wall mount hardware makes wall mounting applications easier.
- Easy-open door handle improves adult access to the gate.
- Offers the option to connect the gate to create a freestanding play area.
- Safe to use around fire hazards, like the fireplace or grill.
The drawbacks of this gate include:
- Only customizable in 25-inch panels, as the panels do not slide.
- Some reviewers state the connections are flimsy.
Choosing a Freestanding Gate – Consider Your Application
When choosing a freestanding gate, take some time to consider where you will use it. Do you want a play yard for a large living area, or do you need to protect your baby from a serious danger or risk. The answer to this question will help you determine what type of gate you need. For a play yard where you simply want to contain the baby and baby’s mess, a more affordable option may be your best bet. For a serious danger, you will want to invest in a sturdy gate you can trust to work well.
Consider Your Style
If your home has a distinctive style, consider that in your selection as well. You may pay more for a more attractive gate, but you may enjoy the look more than a different option. If you are using the gate in an area of your home where decor does not matter much, you don’t need to splurge for a wood or wood-look gate.
Consider the Features
Finally, consider the features the gate has. Every gate is different, and some features to look for include:
- Stable feet to prevent tipping
- Narrow slats so baby’s fingers don’t get trapped
- Easy-open gate so parents can get through
- Sturdy hardware to prevent the gate from breaking
- Option to mount the gate to the wall or a doorway, if desired
- Option to add panels or extend panels to customize the layout
Your baby’s safety is not something to take lightly. Investing in a freestanding baby gate is investing in your peace of mind. With any of the five on this list, you can buy with confidence, knowing that you are getting a quality option.
Last updated on May 5th, 2020 at 12:44 pm